Friday, July 18, 2008

Madness

Greetings!

I have had my head down for the last couple of weeks wrapping up my two summer classes. I only have one more to go before I am to let my head rest a bit before getting back on the grin On September 2nd.

I have been simmering particularly over the last couple of weeks. I keep a running list of topics I would like to cover in this space, but that is useless because there is always SOMETHING that blows up the proverbial spot! Some things though can not be ignored so forgive me if I go back a bit.

There is no eloquent way to put this – I am pissed at Jesse Jackson.

I could state the obvious – Jesse talking about demasculating a fellow Chicagoan/civil rights enthusiast/presidential candidate or the fact that he used the “N” word during that same conversation. No that would be way too easy. This is why I am mad with Jesse:

1. He felt comfortable enough to share such disparaging remarks with someone he didn’t really know.


2. He didn’t have sense enough to know that Fox News is one big HOT MIC. This network has been known for biased/slanted reporting by the majority of its reporters, particularly when it comes to Barack Obama. If you must be in their camp you shouldn’t talk about the weather in their bathroom much less break them off the type of commentary that will make their ratings soar.


3. Jesse got every Black pundit in the world having to walk the fine line of explaining why you said what you did and defending your honor as our community’s elder statesman. That’s the kind of tightrope walking we don’t need right now.


4. He placed his SON, who is a key player in the Obama camp, possible candidate somewhere in Obama’s cabinet (or at least in the Chicago senate seat that Obama will vacate), in the position of having to throw his own father under the bus in the hopes of salvaging any hopes of attaining his political ambitions.


5. That he would shake his fist in such rage as if Obama is someone he wants to brawl with in the street.

Those are just the top five reasons why I’m mad, there are many more, but there are other things going on the world.

I did not like the New Yorker cover, but I was definitely not enraged by it. I clearly remember a cartoon of Teddy Roosevelt that was past unflattering during a time when people had more reverence for those who occupied the oval office. As with any other caricature, it sought to show the absurdity of all of the rumors that swarm around Obama. Problem is political satire doesn’t come with an instruction manual and for those backwards folks who have to have their news spoon fed to them, this piece only reinforces the lies that are out there. I love Obama’s reaction – he told Larry King that this is an example of first amendment and parody, they just didn’t do a good job of it! You might have noticed that Michelle has been pretty quiet about it – that’s because Miss Thing is probably mad at the possible implications of the cover and is in a room with NO MICROPHONES and NO CAMERAS going off! Then she will come out, bump the next fist and keep it moving – that’s real gangster there (Jesse take notes…)

I am not mad at the cover, but I am certainly mad at any one in the black community that is going to try to turn this into the type of race conversation that distracts us from the task at hand.

My last political rant is about a politician in my area. She has been “occupying” a senate seat in my district for more than a decade. At first I supported her – a lawyer, single mother and a person who seemed to have passion for the community. Her political tenure has evolved into political scandal almost as egregious as Kwame Kilpatrick and the highest level of pandering to special interest Black folk that I have ever seen in my lifetime. I am constantly in debate about her ineffectiveness, but there did not seem to be any possibility of her being removed. I have no political ambitions but I have actually had serious conversations with someone I thought would be perfect to “de-throne” her. Nothing seemed to work, until last year when she did not get enough signatures to be formerly placed on the ballot. Her constituents worked feverishly to do what they needed to do to get her on the ballot and she beat the young lady running against her. Now she is up for re-election. She knows she dodged a bullet last time so she has begun a much more effective messaging campaign to the voters in the area. Unfortunately, she will probably be right back on the hill regardless of those who dare to challenge her.

I am mad because this type of infinite reverence for “anybody” Black has got to stop! We are ready to give Jesse a pass, even when he makes himself an unnecessary and obnoxious distraction to the Obama campaign. My local candidate has not demonstrated any real leadership, but the black matriarchs and patriarchs of my community who get what they want from her will continue to “slice throats” just to keep her in office. I know there is a better way, so let’s try our best to get to it.

I would love to hear your thoughts on what makes you mad!

With that I wish you all the best today and always.


G

No comments: