Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010 - The Next Episode

Here goes – 2009 was the most challenging year of my adult life.

First the loss: my mother, my sister-friend’s mother, Michael Jackson, and Ted Kennedy. Two people I actually knew and shared time with and two others who shaped my life and countless others without even knowing my name. Others included one coworker from a job I had a lifetime ago and the most recent – A good guy and longtime employee at the flower exchange whose single vehicle car crash on the way to work Christmas Eve resulted in two young girls losing their dad during the holidays. There were some near misses with some people close to me battling serious and chronic illnesses that at times left their lives in peril.



Now the truth: life happens all day, everyday. What can you do about that? Not a thing – you just have to jump in and ride “it” until the wheels fall off. What I discovered in this year of transition is that not every situation is for you and sometimes you have to look at it and let it go. Not every person is right for you – that includes spouses, near-spouses, never to be spouses, family, friends, business partners, and colleagues. Don’t be afraid to distance yourself from entities that are not helping you be your BEST self. What does that mean - people and situations that help you to be physically and mentally healthy, strong and a positive force here on this earth. If you are always in a complex space, that means something or someone is making it hard for you to keep it simple! If you are the one adding to the complication with jealousy, naysaying, hateration, and narrow focus, be man or woman enough not to let your insecurities get in the way of someone else’s light.



What’s next – as always the chapter has not been written, however, I am doing whatever I can to build a solid foundation for the next episode. I have completed my requirements for my MBA which opens up new doors. I am also taking a good long look at people and situations in my life and making sure I am the best I can be for others without being weighed down by the unnecessary burdens and dramas of others. It’s a liberating space to be in and I hope that all of you will aim to get there and be happy in it.



Here’s to all those have been a part of Team “G”. It’s with love and complete gratitude that I wish you all the best in this next decade.



G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

G, we lost kwame and gained Barack> How could you fly over that significant swap. Your mom was a class act, God rest her soul: and you are on your way to the best days of your life. Congrats on completing the MBA milestone. Happy New Year!!