Monday, August 25, 2008

Let History Begin!

Greetings!

I thought it fitting to emerge from my self imposed summer shutdown on the first day of the Democratic National Convention. I have to admit that I am excited and somewhat anxious. The stakes are ridiculously high - there are bruised egos, naysayers and maniacal forces hell bent on keeping Senator Obama out of the White House. I have accepted that as fact and have made it my mission to continually engage in conversations that help to correct any misconceptions lingering in the media and out of the mouths of the ignorant and misinformed.

Night one of the convention will be as critical as it will be historical. Michelle Obama will go the podium. I will leave it there and will welcome your thoughts tomorrow.

Lastly – I have to sadly remember three people that have shaped Black culture in this country and around the world. Rest in Peace to Bernie Mac, Isaac Hayes, and Pervis Jackson (from the Spinners). My heart is heavy because they will not be here on earth to witness history in making. During Bernie Mac’s memorial service, Samuel Jackson took a minute to acknowledge that Bernie Mac’s last public appearance was at an Obama event. Although there was controversy about his routine, Samuel Jackson appealed to the crowd to register and actually vote on November 4th hopefully casting their vote for Obama. Jackson went on to say that would be a fitting tribute to the Mac Man. I second and third that!

With that I wish you all the best today and always.

G

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you find it necesaary to third it after you seconded it. Please retract the third and allow me to exercise that privelege. I will be happy to co-author the historical perspective of the post Boston DNC Convention, "Obama Rising"

Anonymous said...

I really hope a lot more people actually vote this election. I find that so many of my black brothers & sisters feel that their votes don't matter. It's so disheartening.

G said...

The third is officially retracted because when it is written all will be said - Obama Rising....

I understand the disappointment when our community doesn't engage in the process. Just keep on pushing and there will be at least one more who will change their mind.

G