Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Armchair View of History

Greetings!

I have often used this space to sing the praises of President-elect Obama. I have had countless conversations with believers and non-believers alike. The dialog made me stronger because you sure have to have a thick skin and a bag of verbal tricks when you are trying to convince folks that a new day is a comin’. I still walk on clouds when I see how Obama confidentially chooses his cabinet and responds to the critical issues of the day with the type of finesse never seen of any incoming president, ever.

Regretfully, I could not make it to Washington D.C. to witness the euphoria first hand. However, I had to weigh my commitments and responsibilities against the desire to be right there with the rest of my comrades who helped to make this day possible. Commitment and responsibility won out. It doesn’t sadden me though – I get to watch “The Moment” with the most important person in the world to me…my mother.

My mother is 81 years old and was born in the South during a time when segregation was alive and well. It was my mother who came north to join her siblings to improve her quality of life. In making that move, she improved my life by default. Although I was born in a very volatile time in civil rights history, I, like Barack Obama stand on the shoulders of my mother and other revolutionary and evolutionary ancestors who sought to make it better for generations to come. I am grateful that my mother has lived to see this day and I am HONORED to share “The Moment” with her.

So for everyone that I know that is in the area, enjoy your time and soak in the experience. Take plenty of pictures and carry a note book to chronicle this event.

Just remember one thing - January 21, 2009 is when the real work will begin.


With that, I wish you all the best today and always.

G

No comments: